- Frequently Asked Questions
- Giant Summer Academy registration (K-8) now open; register by 5/8!
- Giants spirit pins now available - get yours today!
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR: Kindergarten Roundup set for 4/13
- MCS bullying prevention program earns national award
- Sign up TODAY for the Giant Discovery Zone after-school program!
- Tech Giants advance to state robotics competition
- WFYI features Little Giants in documentary on high-quality preschools
April 24 2017Giant Summer Academy registration (K-8) now open; register by 5/8!
April 19 2017Don't miss 'High School Musical' on stage at the Walton! (4/27 & 4/29)
April 6 2017YOU'RE INVITED: Bunny Breakfast - Band Booster fundraiser (4/8)
April 6 2017MARK YOUR CALENDAR: Kindergarten Roundup set for 4/13
March 15 2017Celebrate spring at the MHS planetarium
- No Upcoming events were found.
News for Frances Slocum Elementary School
Did you know that students currently in grades kindergarten through eight can sign up NOW to attend the Giant Summer Academy?
This free four-week program will run 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, starting June 5 and ending June 29. Free breakfast (at 7:30 a.m.) and lunch will be provided to all students enrolled in Giant Summer Academy.
Morning sessions will be tailored to each student's academic needs. (These will not necessarily be grade-level groups. Rather, each student will be guided and challenged to grow from whatever their starting point is, and will have the chance to interact with others who are at a similar level.)
Afternoon enrichment sessions each week will center on a theme:
- June 5-8: Sports and Games
- June 12-15: Performing and Fine Arts
- June 19-22: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
- June 26-29: Entrepreneurship
All academic and enrichment sessions for all students will be at Marion High School, 750 W. 26th St. Breakfast and lunch will be available free for all students at the MHS cafeteria.
How to sign up
1. Click here to view the enrichment course list. Determine what your student's top three choices are for each week. (Final class assignements will be based on demand and space available.)
2. Click here to download the registration form and field trip permission slip.
3. Return your completed registration form (including top three enrichment courses for each week) and the field trip permission slip to your student's school NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, MAY 5!
MHS students will bring Disney Channel's smash hit movie musical to life on stage at the Walton Performing Arts Center, as Troy, Gabriella and the students of East High deal with issues of first love, friends and family while balancing their classes and extracurricular activities.
Show times are at 7:30 on Thursday, April 27, and Saturday, April 29. Tickets are general admission, and $8 for adults, $5 for children/students.
Disney's High School Musical is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI. www.MTIShows.com.
The Bunny Breakfast will be inside MHS's Bill Green Arena. (Enter at Door 14, near the stadium.) There will be special appearances by the Easter Bunny!
Breakfast includes pancakes, sausage, milk and juice.
- $5 adult (3 pancakes, 3 sausages, 1 milk, 1 juice)
- $3 children ages 3 to 10 (2 pancakes, 2 sausages, 1 milk, 1 juice)
- free for children 2 and younger. (1 pancake, 1 sausage, 1 milk, 1 juice)
Thank you to our sponsor, IHOP!
The Million Egg Hunt starts at 9 a.m. (doors open at 8:30). Click here for more information.
WHAT: MCS Kindergarten Roundup
WHEN: 1:30 p.m. or 6 p.m. Thursday, April 13
WHERE: Allen, Frances Slocum, Kendall and Riverview elementary schools
WHY: Visit your school, get information, get a head start on the kindergarten registration process
QUESTIONS? Call 765-662-2546
PASS IT ALONG: Going? Respond on our Facebook event pages for the 1:30 p.m. event or the 6 p.m. event and share with your friends! And keep scrolling for a link to download our flier to share!
Marion Community Schools invites families of children who will be starting kindergarten next school year to come visit their elementary schools and get a head start on the registration process at Kindergarten Roundup, set for Thursday, April 13.
Families can attend one of two sessions set that day, at 1:30 p.m. or 6 p.m.
Children who will be 5 years old on or before Aug. 1, 2017, can attend kindergarten in the 2017-18 school year.
The informational sessions will be offered at every MCS elementary school:
- Allen Elementary School, 1115 E. Bradford St.
- Frances Slocum Elementary School, 2909 S. Torrence St.
- Kendall Elementary School, 2009 W. Kem Road
- Riverview Elementary School, 513 W. Buckingham Drive
We hope to see all families of incoming kindergartners at this event that is just for them! It's a great way to help your future kindergartner get an introduction to the school building and staff. It's a low-pressure, informative session that's meant to specifically meet the needs of families with incoming kindergartners and their families.
What you need to bring: We ask that you bring proof of residence (like a utility bill with your name and address on it) if possible, so we can make sure you're at the right school. We also ask that you bring a copy of your kindergartner-to-be's birth certificate. You'll be beginning the registration process at Kindergarten Roundup, so we need that official document to certify your child is eligible for kindergarten. (If you cannot bring a copy of the birth certificate on this day, we can still begin the registration process, but we'll need you to follow up with us and provide that document before we can complete the registration process.)
For more information, call 765-662-2546, ext. 132.
Attention community partners:
Want to help spread the word about MCS Kindergarten Roundup at your business or organization? Download and print our flier and post it where the public can see them! THANK YOU for your support! Download link:
The public is invited to MHS to the shows, which will feature “The Zula Patrol: Under the Weather”; “The Dynamic Earth: Exploring Earth’s Climate Engine”; and a review of events coming up in the local night sky this spring and summer. Showings are scheduled for 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. Saturday, April 1, and Sunday, April 2.
Admission is free, but seating is limited and on a first-come, first-seated basis on the day of the show. Doors will open about 30 minutes before each showing. Enter MHS through Door 22 at the front of the building. MHS is located at 750 W. 26th St.
In addition, the MHS Green Society will be selling concessions at these shows. Proceeds help fund recycling efforts at MHS.
This is a great opportunity for a special experience with the family, right here in Marion!
The planetarium at MHS was renovated in fall 2012. It boasts state-of-the-art LED cove lighting; 5.1 surround sound system with JBL cinema series speakers that push 2400 watts of power; a Digitarium Kappa projector that broadcasts full dome shows; and seating for 58.
Marion Community Schools is pleased to be able to present this special show to the public and share our exceptional facilities with the community in this way.
Marion, IN 46953-3540